Publishing is like lighting against windmills


I've taken a break from writing in English to focus on publishing for my fellow nationals.
I actually took a break from life itself. Since then I didn't do anything else but writing, building covers, publishing and promoting my work.

Therefore, in 5 months I wrote and published 6 recipe books, 3 self-help manifestos, and 1 huge memoir.
"14 Nuante de Rosu - Amintiri din Copilaria Comunista = 14 Shades of Red - Memoirs from a Communist Country" is my best work so far.
A book for everyone.
I invested everything in it and I hope that my fellow nationals will like it.
Its success is more important than life to me.

I am exhausted but I cannot take a break. I don't have time for that now.
I believe I'll have plenty of time to rest when I'm gone.
People laugh when I say that, then they tell me I am insane.
Well... I can't argue with that.

I started publishing too late and time is of the essence. That's the only thing I got now.
Writing is not like singing.
You don't do it in front of an audience in 4 minutes.
Writing takes an awful amount of time and a great deal of creativity.

When you sing a song, you could potentially have loads of people to like you instantly.... or not.
Like these guys.
Aren't they fabulous?!


When you write a book you have... almost no one to read it because reading takes time.
If you do find someone willing to read your story, the first lines are your best shot.
And, unfortunately for me, I never started well a story.
I believe that my stories becomes better and better after the first pages.
But that's my opinion, of course.

As I said in this post on LinkedIn, speaking about me and my work it does not come naturally to me.
Until 2016 I didn't even think I had the right to publish.
Then I did.
On the 25th of December 2016, I published my first fragment of a memoir: Oranges at Christmas in a Communist Country. A book that was selected and included in "Great on Kindle."
People were preparing for cheery celebrations, while I was trembling with a mix of fear and excitement.

I was terrified of people's reaction.
I had little moral support and nobody really believed in me.
I was the first not to believe in me.
And after publishing 10 books in English and 20 in Romanian I still don't believe in me.
I act like I do because I have no other choice: I have to make it.
Writing is the only thing I ever wanted to do.
Nothing else but writing.

But I am an indie author without awards, diplomas or any "real" education, and with no inclination or desire to compete against other writers.
I am not better than any of them. I am just different.
Besides, I write in a language that is not mine.
And when I do write in mine, surprise surprise, I make so many (grammar, etc.) mistakes as I make in English!

Maybe my grammar is terrible in every language I know.
I didn't think it was that bad until I started writing.
I am terribly frustrated and disappointed in me.

Anyway, all this just to tell you to never give up.
There is a market for everything we create. Someone always loves our work. 

Picture from Pixabay
If you like to read my books visit Amazon.

2 comments

  1. You're a force of nature Cristina and it was a pleasure to meet you. I look forward to taking some time out from my own creative schedule to read some of your work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cherry. It was a pleasure for me too. Sure thing. Time... so, so precious.

      Delete