1st Interview with Author Cristina G.


Tell us about your author's name. Where does it come from (if it’s not your real name)?
G. comes from Gherghel.
I am sure you are already asking yourself what’s the right pronunciation, and that’s why I decided to shorten it.

Why is G followed by a dot/period/full stop?
Because it’s very common in my language.

Would you have loved to use your name?
Absolutely. I love my father’s name.

Your name is not English. Besides, you said, "it's common in my language." Where were you born?
Romania.

Is that a real country?
No. It’s an imaginary name. It comes from Rome/Romans.
Just kidding.
It’s a country, yes, situated in the East of Europe.

I also was joking. I know Romania is a country. Is the Romanian language similar to Italian as many Romanians affirm?
Yes. Both are Romance languages.

Do you speak fluent Italian then?
I do speak fluent Italian because I lived in Italy for 10 years. Not because I was born already knowing this language. If it was that easy, I would also speak French, Spanish and Portuguese.

When have you started writing?
As soon as I learned the letters of the alphabet I knew reading was the best thing ever. It was only a matter of months until I started dreaming of becoming a writer too.
But it was more of a fantasy than a dream.

What language do you write in and why?
I write in English simply because is the most spoken language in the whole world. However, I write in Romanian a lot because of my blogs.

In one of your blogs, you confessed that in 2014, you could barely say a phrase in English. In 2016 you've published your first memoir in English. How difficult is it for you to write in a language that is so new to you? 
You have no idea. It takes me ages to put a phrase down. I research online endlessly. I check and correct it several times. Often, the idioms don't express what I want to say. It's so frustrating. 

What don't you write in Italian? 
Pass. No, wait. I love Italian. I believe it's the most melodic language of them all. I feel blessed for speaking it. But why would I write in Italian? How many people read in Italian? 

What do you blog about?
Beauty, fashion, psychology. Although I focus on many other topics, everything is related to human behaviour.

Can you tell us a secret about yourself?
Sure. I am a man.

Ha, ha. Everybody knows you’re not a man because you wrote a book called “How to Cope with Endometriosis and Vulvodynia.” Wasn’t that a memoir-type book?
A self-help book and memoir indeed.

Tell us a curiosity about you then.
I have a culinary blog where I have published more than 480 recipes. Most are my invention.

Why do you write?
I write for life. I would love to make a living in the future.

Do you think it’s easy to be successful in this field?
On the contrary, I know for a fact it’s extremely difficult.

Which authors do you read?
Many. I mention a few. Victor Hugo, Jane Austen, Thomas Hardy, Charlotte and Emily Brontë, Voltaire, Mikhail Bulgakov, Émile Zola, Stendhal, Gustave Flaubert, Jules Vernes.

Anyone alive?
Of course. Louise Hay, Eckhart Tolle, Joe Dispenza and many, many others.

No novelists?
Not right now. Now I write my novels.

Describe the route to your first novel being published. 
I would rather skip this question. It was not a positive experience.

What are you working on during this period? Can you tell us a bit about it?
I am working on a new blog called authors for life.blogspot. It’s the page where I intend to help authors promote their work. I will publish author interviews mostly, but also guest posts and many tricks and tips on writing.

A final question. It’s very personal. I hope you don’t mind. Are you happy?
Happiness is overrated. Such a cliché, right? I am happy… in a way.

Thank you, Cristina, and Good Luck.

Thank you!

Cristina G. has written 12 books in 2 years. The most successful are the memoirs: Oranges at Christmas in a Communist Country & Ten Years in Italy, Three Weeks a Human.


To be continued. 

Join the authors who write for life.
Read the book Author for Life or for a Living? - A Manifesto for Real Writers




No comments